There are many good reasons why the market size of the outdoor furniture industry continues to grow here in Australia. For one, benches and picnic tables can increase the functionality of public spaces. Aside from that, there are multiple benefits to adding outdoor furniture in a community.
It’s important to remember that street furniture is constantly being exposed to the elements. Without proper care and maintenance, it can deteriorate faster under the harsh weather conditions of Australia. So, how do you prevent premature wear and tear?
In this article, we’ll discuss how you can prolong the life of park furniture, depending on its material.
While wood is solid and sturdy, moisture and changes in temperature can cause it to shrink or expand. So, you need to maintain timber picnic tables and other furniture regularly to keep their integrity. Here are the steps:
- Use wood cleaner – Wipe outdoor picnic tables and benches with wood cleaner to remove grime, build-up or grease.
- Check for problems – Inspect the furniture to see if you need to repair splintering wood or broken planks.
- Sand the furniture – From time to time, you’ll have to sand the wood and apply a fresh coat of oil, stain or polyurethane.
A lot of recycled outdoor furniture are made from plastic materials. By following the maintenance steps below, these furnishings can last for several decades:
- Apply a mild cleaner – Don’t use abrasive cleaning tools to remove tough stains. Instead use mild cleaners like baking soda.
- Inspect for issues – You should also check for hardware damage or missing parts. Doing so will ensure the safety and stability of your plastic furniture.
- Revitalize with wax – If the street furniture seems dull, you can restore its shine by using wax. However, you should avoid using products that can accelerate the breakdown of this material.
Metal park furnishings are usually strong enough to hold up against extreme weather conditions. However, they can easily corrode if you do not care for them properly. Here’s what you can do:
- Use a non-abrasive cleaner – Rinse the metal outdoor furniture with a non-abrasive cleaner.
- Inspect for issues – You should also check and repair broken welds and missing or loose hardware.
- Check for surface problems – Inspect the surface and look for signs of chipped coating and rust. Make sure you address these issues right away to prevent them from spreading.
- Remove rust – Use gentle movements when sanding off rust.
- Apply metal coating – Look for areas with compromised coating and apply thermoplastic, powder coating or polyethylene.
Aluminium is a popular material for street furniture, especially since it requires low maintenance yet is still durable. Even when exposed to salty air or extreme cold and heat, it will remain strong. However, you should still ensure to follow these maintenance steps if you want the furniture to stay resilient for many years:
- Wash with a gentle cleaner – Use a gentle cleanser to wash the aluminium furniture. However, don’t use alkaline products as they cause oxidation on this material.
- Check for issues – Inspect the furniture and make sure that there are no loose or missing hardware. If there are damages, repair them promptly.
- Apply a coat of wax – Use automotive wax to restore the furniture’s shine and protect it from damage.
Get Long-Lasting Street Furniture from Cox Urban Furniture
If you want long-lasting outdoor furniture, you should purchase products with reliable quality and durability. Here at Cox Urban Furniture, we offer 100% Australian-made park benches, picnic tables and other outdoor furnishings. So, you can trust that our products will stand strong against the harsh conditions of the country.
Contact Cox Urban Furniture today to learn more about our long-lasting street furniture.